Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I Will Rise

We sang "I Will Rise" in the McCleary service this last Sunday and it really impacted me.  Throughout the service I continued to pour over the chorus of this song, singing the words over and over in my head.  I believe the Spirit impressed these thoughts specifically to me...meeting me right where I am.  I'd like to share with you what I wrote down.
Note: I found a video on YouTube of Chris Tomlin talking about this song.

I will rise when He call my name
No more sorrow, no more pain
I will rise on Eagle's wings
Before my God, fall on my knees and rise

This chorus really stuck out to me.  It talks of 'no more sorrow, no more pain,' and that sounds great.  But the last line, to me, is the most profound.  '...fall on my knees and rise.You rise by getting on your knees before God.

To rise makes me think of getting up, getting over, moving on.  The song makes it clear that we cannot rise by ourselves...'On Eagle's wings'.  We fall on our knees, pray, and worship the Lord God.
It talks of no sorrow and pain.  I don't believe this refers to the removal of physical sorrow, pain, and sickness, but rather the perspective surrounding them.  Your perspective changes when you are on your knees before God.  Pain and sorrow are replaced by peace and joy.

To rise requires humility (2 Chronicles 7:14).  To rise requires weakness recognized (2 Corinthians 12:9-10).  To rise requires submission before God (Proverbs 3:5-6).  You get on your knees before God so that you may rise by His strength and His grace.


Lord, grant me the humility and submissiveness to come before you on my knees and acknowledge you as Lord of all, regardless of any circumstance.  Fill me with you kingdom perspective that I may be in constant communion with you.

3 comments:

Amanda Sue said...

Curtis, I appreciate how you reflect and respond to the words of the songs we sing in corporate worship. My first reaction to your post was, "Well, duh." And then I realized, "Oh, yeah, that makes sense. I didn't think of that."

Anyway, thanks for the reminder to think a little more while I sing.

Heather Lyn said...

Wow, Curt. So true, it is impossible to rise unless you are first made low before the Lord. After church in McCleary, I spent all day sunday and monday reflecting on that very song. Over and over, the words replayed in my head. In the ten minutes it takes me to get to work, it played on the radio monday morning...ALL day at work, the words were just rolling around in my brain. On my way home from work,I KID YOU NOT, it came on the radio again, and once more, the impact of the words hit my heart. Good to see that the impression made from that song was deeper than just the melody, not only for myself, but for others. Thanks for sharing!

lauren said...

CurtIS, you never post any more. Hmmm...then again, neither do I. Muahaha.